Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Psalm 17:3

Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.

I would like to focus on the last part of this verse of scripture. I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress. As women, we are often stereotyped as back biting gossippers. Why is that? I think it is because many of us carry those characteristics before we come to Christ. Think back to junior high school and conversations you had with friends. If you were anything like I was your conversations probably consisted mainly of "Oooh girl no she didn't" and "Guess what I heard". When I crossed over into my adult life and the Lord began dealing with me about gossiping, I stopped offering information, but I kept listening. It took years for me to realize, I was just as guilty for listening as I was for spreading "news" that was never mine to spread. Once I grasped that concept the Lord began to show me how words hurt people. Once you speak a word into the atmosphere, you can NEVER take it back. That being said, it is critical for me to consider my words before I speak them. I MUST be mindful that the enemy uses words to hurt people and not help him with this process. Before I gave this area of my life over to Jesus I had a horrible habit of saying the first thing that came to my mind when I was mad, no matter how ugly that thought was. It took a non-believer saying to me, "That was not Christ like" for me to at least recognize I still had a HUGE problem with my mouth.

Finally, with the help of the Holy Spirit, I have determined not to sin with this mouth! I control this mouth and what comes out of it!!! No one can "make" me say things I shouldn't. Saying mean, hateful, and ugly words does not glorify my Heavenly Father! It conflicts with the message of Salvation Jesus taught of. The Lord often reminds me that I will never know who He may ask me to minister to, and if I let the enemy trick me into saying something ugly to them, they will not be able to receive the Word of the Lord! Fulfilling my purpose in Jesus is FAR more important than giving anyone a "piece of my mind"!

God bless you all, and as always..... leave a comment if you desire to do so!

No comments: